Applied Human Resource Management
Launch a Life of Learning and Working in Manitoba
Launch your career in the Canadian workplace by developing essential Human Resource management skills in the Applied Human Resource Management program. Enroll at the University of Manitoba and embark on your employment path in Manitoba.
Ideally suited for internationally educated professionals with a business management career choice, the curricula combines comprehensive Human Resource management training with targeted language support and valuable on-the-job experience.
The field of Human Resources provides exciting career choices. Responsibilities of professionals in this field include attracting, motivating and retaining the most important asset of an organization, its employees. Human Resources is often seen as the link between an organization’s management and its employees and provides the knowledge, tools and employee services that make an organization a positive workplace. Completing a Certificate in Human Resource Management (HRM) prepares you for work in this field and is an excellent starting point for a rewarding career path.
Additional career success workshops, mentorship opportunities, and a path to professional designation – with an industry recognized association, make Applied Human Resource Management (AHRM) an ideal pathway towards professional success in Manitoba and beyond.
Certificate and Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)
Who is the Program for?
- A two-year diploma or undergraduate degree is required for admission
- If you don’t have a post-secondary credential, but have extensive work experience, you may be considered for admission
- IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 82/CLB 8/ TOEIC 800
- If you have lower proficiency scores, you can receive conditional admission, but you will have to successfully complete Level 700 in the Intensive English Program in order to meet the entrance requirements.
Complete the following application form and submit all required documents.
- Download and fill out the Application form (PDF)
- Include a translated copy of your academic transcript
- Send a copy of your passport
- Include proof of English language proficiency. (i.e. IELTS, TOEFL pBT, TOEFL iBT, CLB, TOEIC)
- Strengthen your resume: Gain a University of Manitoba certificate, Certificate in Human Resource Management and Administration), a recognized university credential, and apply for a professional designation with the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) subject to their requirements.
- Complete a Letter of Accomplishment: Career Success in Canada to develop the soft skills that will help you succeed in the Canadian workplace: learn how to successfully apply for jobs, build your communication skills and begin to network;
- Ladder into a degree at the University of Manitoba: 24 credit hours of the certificate program can be applied towards the Bachelor of Arts: Integrated Studies.
- Qualify for Manitoba health coverage: International students studying for 6 months or longer receive the same health insurance coverage as Manitoba residents.
- Benefit from the Government of Manitoba initiatives for international students to work and live in Manitoba. To find out more, please check the website of the Government of Manitoba. To find out if you qualify for work opportunities in Manitoba, please also check the Government of Canada website.
- Admission Fee: $300.00 CAD (non-refundable and non-transferrable)
- Program Fee: $12,000.00 CAD ($2,000.00 CAD payable upon admission, remainder payable one month prior to start date)
- Total: $12,300.00 CAD (Textbook fees are not included)
Certificate in Human Resource Management
- HRM 0100 – Managing the Human Resource Function
- HRM 0110 – Human Resource Legislation
- HRM 0122 – Recruitment and Selection
- HRM 0124 –Workplace Health and Safety
- HRM 0128 – Measuring Human Resource Efficiency and Effectiveness
- HRM 0126 – Strategic Human Resource Planning
- HRM 0210 – Total Compensation
- MGMT 0110 – Organizational Behaviour
- MGMT 0202 – Staff Training and Development
- HRM 0202 – Labour Relations
- HRM 0134 – Ethics and Social Responsibility
Letter of Accomplishment: Career Success in Canada
- MGMT 0132 – The Canadian Workplace
- MGMT 0138 – Intercultural Communication
- CONV 0208 – Pronunciation Clinic
- MGMT 0134 – Powerful Business Writing
- MGMT 0142 – Effective Presentation Skills
- MGMT 0136 – Networking 101
Support and Work Placement
- Support Services
- Language Needs Assessment
- Language and Study Support
Work Placement Work-integrated Learning Project
- 175 hour internship placement
- Placement determined by resume and professional goals
How long does it take to complete the program?
What is a Letter of Accomplishment (LOA)?
Do I have to take the courses in a specific order?
Can I just enroll in a single course if I'm not interested in the entire program?
1. Fill Out an Application Form
Download and submit a completed Program Application Form.
2. Gather Your Transcripts and Documents:
Your submission will include:
- A translated copy of your academic transcript. Student copies or photocopies are not acceptable. Transcripts become the property of University of Manitoba and will not be returned
- A copy of your passport
- Proof of English language proficiency. (i.e. IELTS, TOFEL pBT, TOFEL iBT, CLB, TOEIL)
Transcripts become the property of University of Manitoba and will not be returned.
3. Submit Your Documents:
Submit completed application form, transcripts and documents, along with your $300 application fee payment to:
Student and Instructor Services185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2
or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Reserve your seat:
Your application will be reviewed and assessed within 5 – 10 business days. If you meet the program’s eligibility criteria and if seats are available, you will be offered admission to the program you applied for. To reserve your seat, you must make a non-refundable $2,000 tuition deposit within 3 weeks of receiving your admission offer. Upon receipt of your payment, we will issue a Letter of Acceptance to you. If your tuition deposit is not received, your admission offer will expire.
5. Make final payment:
One month prior to your program start date, the remainder of the tuition ($10,000) must be paid to the the University.
Program Start Dates
- May 4, 2017
- September 18, 2017
- January 11, 2018
- May 10, 2018
- September 13, 2018
Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies
Take your education to the next level and apply your certificate towards an undergraduate degree. Graduates of the Applied Human Resource Management (AHRM) program are eligible to use their certificates in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts Integrated Studies degree.