Hosting a Student
The purpose of the Intensive English Homestay Program is to provide international students and their homestay families with an enjoyable cultural experience.
How do you become a homestay family?
Please fill out and submit the Homestay Family Questionnaire along with a current Winnipeg Police Criminal Record Check for anyone 18 years old or older living in the home. The Accommodation Coordinator will visit your home to view the accommodations offered, explain the IEP homestay terms and conditions, and answer your questions.
As you soon as your application has been approved, you can begin to host students.
What is expected from a homestay family?
- Provide transportation to and from the airport on the day of arrival and the day of departure.
Provide accommodation in a single bedroom, which includes a bed, a closet, a desk or study table and chair, as well as appropriate lighting and a functional smoke detector nearby.
- Provide three healthy and balanced meals per day including breakfast (e.g. cereal or toast, juice or milk, and fruit), lunch (e.g. a sandwich or leftover dinner, a drink, fruit and a snack) and dinner (e.g. spaghetti and salad, or chicken, potatoes and vegetables). Please discuss with your student what his/her meal preferences are. You will routinely prepare dinner for your homestay student. Snacks should be available to the student at any time. We ask that Homestay Families follow Canada’s Food Guide.
- Provide fresh towels and linen when the student moves into the home.
- Provide access to the common living areas of the house including laundry facilities, a telephone and a computer with Internet access.
- Provide an English speaking environment.
- Include the student in family activities and engage the student in regular conversations with the family.
Payment and other information
For providing the above services, a homestay family is paid a monthly fee of $650.00. If a student is scheduled to stay with a homestay family for a period of less than one month, the homestay family will receive $25 per day for the number of days the student has stayed with the family. The homestay placement is not a tenant-landlord agreement. If the family or the student finds the situation unsatisfactory, alternate arrangements will be made by the Intensive English Program.
The Intensive English Program is not liable for outstanding bills, damage to the home or property or any other expenses incurred by the student while staying with the homestay family.
If you have any questions about the Intensive English Homestay Program, please contact the Accommodation Coordinator:
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
Phone: 1 204 474-8800
Toll Free: 1-888-216-7011
Fax: (204) 474-7660
Accommodation Emergency Line: 204-228-0755